Pages

Monday 18 April 2011

Back in the day

This is the first of my blogs, and it’s being delivered pretty late, but better late than never.

This time last year, I was studying a combined honours degree of BA Philosophy and Film studies (two deviating subjects, I know), yet the unusual collaboration never failed in upholding my interest. I admire the diversity of choice available to all first year students, especially if they are having trouble finding their way. Although I enjoyed the programme very much, toward the end of the year I began re-thinking my options, and asked myself "what do I really want from this degree?" With the University's help, I was able to make a quick transition into a course more attuned to my personal ambitions. The ensuing placement at Avery Hill this previous September motivated my transition into the world of BSc Psychology. I have enjoyed meeting a vast majority of like-minded individuals, who seek the same interpersonal objectives and career paths as I do.

My first year at University was all about one notorious craze: ‘FRESHERS’. What was this all about!? I found myself being literally dragged into finding out sooner than expected. For some first year students, being away from home is a daunting thought. New faces, new surroundings, new routine. Not knowing where to find your flat door amongst what appears to be an endless array of identical buildings. Yet to be honest, not knowing is half the fun. I found myself frequently socializing with my flatmates, fitting into a steady learning curve amidst the nostalgic weekends, and making more friends than I knew what to do with. Slowly throughout the year I had settled into the student society at Avery Hill campus. Those I lived amongst, however dysfunctional the alliance may be, I once called my family within proximity. They let me learn allot about myself. Peace out HCM 2009.


So, if you’re ever at Sparrows Farm, put this song on request [Sidney Sampson – ‘Riverside’]...you’re bound to make some enthusiastic acquaintances.

No comments:

Post a Comment